What is Erasmus+?
Please note that COVID-19 restrictions are affecting Erasmus+.
Usually, Erasmus+ enables you to study or work in Europe as part of your degree programme, for a full academic year. Most mobility opportunities operate as an exchange and Heriot-Watt University has links with a wide range of institutions across Europe. You will not pay tuition fees to the institution you study at abroad and most students are eligible for an Erasmus+ mobility grant.
However, due to the global restrictions around travel, semester 1 and 2 of 2020/21 are closed for applications.
Activities within the Erasmus+ Programme are carried out with the support of European Commission funds and aim to promote student and staff mobility in higher education within Europe.
If you are interested in opportunities outside of Europe, please see Exchange.
If you are currently studying at a university outside of the UK and are interested in taking part in an Erasmus+ Exchange to Heriot-Watt, please see information for incoming exchange students or contact email@example.com.
What are the benefits of Erasmus+?
- Tuition fees are not paid to the institution abroad as Heriot-Watt operate within a framework of mutual agreements.
- Most Erasmus+ students are eligible to receive an Erasmus+ grant provided by the European Commission.
Where can I study?
We have links with a wide range of institutions across Europe and where you can study will depend on the exchange agreements signed for your degree programme.
To help you decide where would be the best place for you, take a little time to consider these questions:
- What country am I interested in studying in? Why does it appeal to me?
- Do I want to develop my language skills or be in an English speaking country?
- Would I prefer to be based in a city, or a large or small town?
- Would I like to study in a large or a smaller university?
- Do I want to be where other Heriot-Watt students are?
- What interests/activities do I want to develop around my studies? Where is the best place to achieve this?
The International Student Advisors Office (ISAO) will be able to provide you with all relevant and up-to-date visa information.